Apprentice Quantity Surveyor13/12/2021 Construction and Civils Department West Midlands
Birmingham Based – Full Time permanent position + competitive benefits package
RSS Infrastructure Ltd (RSSI), has been recognised by Network Rail at the 2018 ‘Rail Partnership Awards’ for its work within the Rail and Construction industry, developing bespoke solutions for clients that deliver improved safety and productivity.
From our offices in Birmingham, Doncaster and Newport, RSS Infrastructure has over 100 directly employed staff members and a diverse contingent labour workforce that cover the majority of the UK. The company has developed a service portfolio that includes; Arboriculture, Construction & Civils, Magnetic Safety Services, OLE, Resource & Recruitment, Signalling and Welding, as well as being the UK’s sole provider of Track Warning Systems.
What will I be doing?
As our Trainee Quantity Surveyor, you will report to the Senior Quantity Surveyor and will be a part of a project team aligned to Pre & Post Contract delivery of infrastructure projects up to £2M in value. As a Trainee in our team, you will be responsible for undertaking commercial and contractual matters in support of and under direction of the Senior Quantity Surveyor including preparation of budget estimates, target prices and scheme forecasts, monitoring of actual costs against budgets and performing cost and value reconciliation to ensure correct cost capture has occurred.
On a day to day basis, your role will involve:
- Assisting in the preparation of budget estimates and target prices in line with contract from project inception to target agreement.
- Supply chain management including sending enquiry documentation, quotation assessment, task order award and instructions to supply chain where required.
- Supply chain payment assessment including all relevant documentation on a monthly basis.
- Ensuring project cost and value reconciliation is performed to ensure correct cost capture has occurred.
- Assisting in the management of site level change management including early warning and compensation event management and production, both to the client and to the supply chain as necessary.
- Preparation of project forecasts.
- Monitoring actual cost against budgets.
- Reviewing and responding to scheme contractual matters.
- Managing tender submission schedule
- Attending pre-tender site visits, and undertake site surveys
- Attending pre & post contract client meetings, as required
- Preparing and delivering detailed, qualified, well presented tender submissions
- Helping ensure that commercial processes are adhered to across the business unit
- Ensuring effective interaction between the commercial team and the operational site teams
What experience would we like you to have?
To be selected for interview you will have experience within the Construction and / or Infrastructure industry although applications from recent graduates or those working towards a degree a BSc or HND in Commercial Management or Quantity Surveying are welcomed.
We also welome applications from graduates of other disciplines interested in a career in Quantity Surveying and will to complete a 5 year Quantity Surveying apprenticeship.
As part of the selection process, you will be required to demonstrate your proficiency with MS Excel and demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of commercial contracts.
What benefits will I receive?
RSS Infrastructure offers a range of benefits, including:
- 20 days paid annual leave rising to 25 plus statutory bank holidays
- Contributory pension scheme
- Life assurance
- Health Cash Plan
- Sick Pay
- Free car parking
RSS Infrastructure has been recognised by Network Rail at the 2018 ‘Rail Partnership Awards’ for its work within the Rail and Construction industry, developing bespoke solutions for clients that deliver improved safety and productivity.
Our mission is to ensure that we make our clients operate more safely and achieve more productivity when on-site, whether delivering new projects, track renewal programmes, or maintaining the rail infrastructure.
We are not just another infrastructure company but also a trusted company that understands the value of partnerships and long-standing business relationships, continually looking to deliver outstanding performance and customer service. We remain one of the market-leading rail services groups in the UK.
We believe in individuals’ value and contribution, respecting our organisation’s diverse makeup and need people who want to make a difference to our clients and the Group’s growth.
Our teams are committed, supporting each other to meet the demands of an industry sector which operates 24 hours a day, seven days per week, 365 days of the year. Working together to either plan, resource or deliver a range of services into a highly demanding industry sector that can be very reactive, challenging your skills to adapt quickly to new situations.
A strong work ethic and a ‘Can Do’ attitude is the foundation of our business. We want people who can drive success and have a right first time, every time approach to their work-life without cutting corners and understanding the essence of safety and customer service. We are a people-orientated business, nurturing and investing in our staff and teams to become the best at what they do, creating managers and leaders of the future.
As an equal opportunity’s employer, RSS Infrastructure does not discriminate based on ethnicity, race, religious beliefs, age, disability, gender or sexual orientation.
The company also actively encourages both reservists and veterans of the Armed Forces to apply for positions. For more information on how we support ex-military personnel, please visit our website.
How to apply
To apply forward your CV to email@example.com or apply onlineApply online